A tractor driver from Wildekrans Wine Estate in the Bot River Valley was crowned as one of the top women in agriculture in the Western Cape this year.
Geraldine Theunissen heads an all-male team on the estate, which includes production activities such as vine, deciduous fruit, olives, pome fruit and sheep. She received the Ministerial Award.
Now in its 16th year, the Female Entrepreneur Awards is a partnership between the National Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries and the provincial departments of Agriculture. The Western Cape winners will compete nationally on 27 August 2015.
The other provincial category winners were:
- Best Female Worker: Maria Persens, De Fynne Nursery, Klapmuts
- Best Subsistence Producer: Tenjiwe Kaba, Moyo We Khaya Community Garden, Khayelitsha
- Top Entrepreneur Smallholder: Eugene Simons, Algina Wholesale Nursery, Firgrove
- Top Entrepreneur Processing: Jessica Bonin, Lady Bonin’s Tea, Cape Town
- Top Entrepreneur Commercial: Ingrid de Waal, Canette Vallei, Stellenbosch