Analysing the terrain, soil and climate for optimal wine grape cultivation.
VinPro’s experienced soil scientist offers the following services to wine producers:
- Soil survey and mapping, GPS measurements and block layouts.
- Recommendations on soil preparation and drainage.
- Fertilisation advice and nutrient element management strategies.
- Maintenance management, e g cover crop cultivation.
Specialised geographic information systems (GIS) are used to analyse the terrain, soil and climate for the optimal use of a specific area for wine grape cultivation. This includes:
- Farm and soil maps, block layouts and surfaces.
- Terrain maps, including slope, aspect, altitude, daylight length, as well as the flow direction and accumulation (drainage) of water.
- Cultivar and rootstock recommendations per block for a specific wine goal.
Tailor-made feasibility study packages are compiled with the agro-economists and viticulturists, especially with regard to expansions of existing units or vineyard establishment in other provinces.
The Soil Science & GIS division also publishes the Catena series of five soil publications covering the wine producing areas of the Western Cape. Each publication contains the specific area’s unique features, limitations and yield potential with regard to winegrape cultivation, as well as cultivation techniques. The following regions are covered in separate publications: Breede River Valley, Swartland/Paarl, Stellenbosch, Olifants River and the Overberg. – Learn more
Johan de Jager
Cell: 072 139 9661
GIS Soil Scientist
Cell: 083 480 2686