VinPro is the service organisation for 2 500 South African wine producer and cellar members, striving towards their commercial sustainability, as well as that of the broader producer industry and its strategic role-players. As such, it is their mouthpiece and representative at all relevant forums and in dealings with Government.
VinPro was established in 2003 to render professional and need-driven consultation services in viticulture, oenology, soil science, agro-economy and general management. VinPro’s roots lie in KWV’s establishment in 1918 to represent the interests of South African winefarmers. After the restructuring of KWV Group Limited, VinPro opened its doors on 2 January 2003 as the wine producer’s new independent organisation. After close to five years as a co-operative, VinPro converted to a company and VinPro Ltd (limited by guarantee) was born on 22 May 2008.
“VinPro is committed to a sustainable and participative wine producer community”
The non-profit company has a three-part focus, namely:
By maintaining close relationships with Government and wine industry role players, and representation on more than 50 organisations and committees, VinPro promotes the interests of its producers regarding issues such as statutory levies, customs and excise duties and new legislation.
2. Value-added services
- Consultation in soil science and GIS, viticulture, agro-economy, black economic empowerment (BEE) and general management
- Promoting ethical trade, research and training through dedicated funding and initiatives
- Strategic support to cellars/processors to enhance efficiency
- Ensuring access to top quality plant material and specialised information management systems – via respective shareholding in Vititec (Pty) Ltd and Farm Management Systems (Pty) Ltd.
3. Information Transfer
- Strategic information is transferred via, inter alia, the monthly WineLand magazine and annual SA Wine Industry Directory and VinPro Cost Guide, as well as websites, newsletters and social media.
- Facilitating various communication initiatives and forums with role-players in the wine industry, including the annual Nedbank VinPro Information Day, WineLand Seminar and Cellar Conference.
- Facilitating technology transfer on behalf of Winetech.
Board & Management
VinPro’s board of directors include regional producer and cellar representatives, as well as co-opted specialists.
Anton Smuts (Chairman, Robertson)
Phillip Retief (Vice Chairman, Robertson/Klein Karoo)
Petrus Bosman (Paarl)
Hendrik Botha (Worcester)
Albert Brink (Orange River)
Pieter du Toit (Swartland)
Sakkie du Toit (Breedekloof)
Karl Jansen van Rensburg (Olifants River)
Niël Joubert (Klein Karoo)
Johann Krige (Stellenbosch)
Sharon February (Specialist)
Mutle Mogase (Specialist)
Rydal Jeftha (Stellenbosch/Paarl)
Rico Basson (Managing Director)
Gerhard Bester (Finance and Human Resources)
Paiter Botha (Compliance and Special projects)
Christo Conradie (Wine Cellars/Agricultural Economy)
Phil Bowes (Transformation & Development)
Wanda Augustyn (Wineland Media and Communication)
Francois Viljoen (Viticulture & Soil Science)
Vititec (Pty) Ltd is the wine industry’s leader in the propagation and improvement of vineyard plant material. VinPro has full shareholding In Vititec, which includes access to a critical industry asset, namely a gene pool of the majority of core plant material in the South African wine industry.
Learn more (www.vititec.com)
Farm Management Systems (Pty) Ltd (FarmMS), a full affiliate of VinPro, is a specialised IT product and service provider to the wine industry locally and internationally. The flagship product, WineMS, is leading wine and vineyard information management system.
Learn more (www.winems.co.za)
The VinPro Foundation is a non-profit organisation established by VinPro in 2013 which aims to develop, support and improve the sustainability of the wine industry and related stakeholders by promoting & backing people excellence in the SA wine industry. This is done through support and funding of training, development and ethical trade initiatives.
Learn more (www.vinprofoundation.org.za)
Winetech is the business unit tasked to co-ordinate research and technology in the wine industry. VinPro is contracted to facilitate the Winetech Technology Transfer Project, which includes:
- Regional information days in May and September
- Vineyard block evaluations and block competition days
- Identifying research needs
- Viticultural study groups.